Saturday, September 21, 2013

Settling in as "Mainers!"

Our summer schedule we've bid adieu and welcomed in the settling effect of returning to fall, school and the routine and rhythm to our lives it brings.

I'm happy to report, we've had a very solid start to attending a new school.  The beauty of finding another Waldorf school is continuity.  The curriculum and feel of the school is the seemless.  The kiddos are doing great!  For me, I describe it as being in the Twilight Zone.  I drive up to this campus that has so many similarities, yet most of the people are unknown to me still.  Meeting new people and connecting faces takes time.  It took 4 years for me to feel as at ease as I did in A2.  So time is what I will give.

We've had some great weekends.  Things are starting to look somewhat familiar here and there and as we explore, we are connecting a few dots.  Things aren't feeling so foreign.  Venturing into Portland to soak in a glorious evening, we walked through Old Port to see where Harbor Fish Company is located.  The sun had set and there was mention of crepes sounding good.  I had read about a creperie in Portland, discovered we were less than a half mile and it was enroute to our car.  We discovered Wharf Street.  OH MY GOODNESS!  It's the Portland I want to show friends who come to visit.  It's a little cobblestone street nestled between larger streets.  It's magical.  There, we discovered eateries of all sorts and it was alive!  I think I felt the soul of the city.  The reason people tout Portland as a foodie's paradise, where the term local was being done before it was hip and had a label.   The Merry Table Creperie beckoned us into it's cozy space.  We had a lovely family evening.  Everyone was able to find something to satisfy their tastes and the space held us in its comfort and security, we strangers in a strange (but wonderful) new land.

 Scoping out date night locations!
 Crepes!
 French onion soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment