Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day!

At 4:30 pm yesterday my phone rang, as I reached to answer it, I heard Kevin say, "Hello" from his office.  I thought he was so steeped in concentration with his studies that he didn't realize the phone ringing was mine.  However, the "school reach" called our phones at the same time to let us know school would be canceled the following day.  Being a native Minnesotan (sometimes I am borderline obnoxious in my Minnesota pride), I am familiar with weather and hype, but we both in total amazement had never experienced a school cancellation in anticipation of a storm!  This was too good!  The snow did come - sideways and I realized my plan to make soup on our snow day would be foiled because I had forgotten a key ingredient.  With the hype, I found myself a bit gun-shy of taking an AWD vehicle out in the "blizzard" warning weather, but finally realized it would be better to do it in the early part of the storm than after when the projected 12" was on the ground and drag 2 kids out with me.  Out I went, finding myself purely giddy as I cruised along Stadium, wind blowing snow as I imagined giant drifts.  This is what it took, imagination that this was a blizzard or would turn to one.  This was nothing...I felt like I was in Minnesota again and owned the snowy roads! 

I sauntered about the grocery store, enjoying the fact there were few people who had ventured out...and the quiet (as most mothers I know do when they find themselves w/o kids steering the cart or directing what items should be placed in said cart).  In all, I was perhaps gone 45 minutes and came home all beaming.  Kevin at that point smiled and said, "We are Northern people."  Since it's nearly Valentine's Day, I would gush:  This is one of the reasons (besides his shared love of walks and trees) why I love him!  He gets why snow makes me happy, why driving along snow-covered, drifting roads brought an adrenaline rush and endorphin release!  And to allow him to truly share in our 'northern people' bliss, today I left him half the driveway to shovel.  I couldn't have all the fun to myself!  Sadly, I didn't get any pics - was having too much fun to go back in to get the camera!  So I'll post one of my favorites from earlier in the winter season.

p.s. The blizzard warning was demoted to a winter storm in the middle of the night.  Snowfall total at wake up (after sleeping in, because of the snow day) was 6"; additional snow fell giving us another 1-2".  It's beautiful!  I'm happy. 

1 comment: